When we talk about mold, we often assosiate it with rotten food, dirty showers in bathrooms, growing in damp or wet areas in dirty homes or buildings, etc. However, mold is not only presen in these areas, it is actually a toxic substance that can be found everywhere and we are breathing it and ingesting it every day, whether we know or not.
Unfortunately, most mold is not visible at all, it grows undetected behind your walls, under your floors and even in your food. Even if you cannot see it, you are most definitely being subjected to its toxic, even deadly effects.
Mold is very dangerous for people because once your body becomes overrun by mold, it can literally shut down your immune system and start a cascading effect of illnesses that can take months and even years to be diagnosed let alone cured.
The Silent Killer
Eventhoguh not all molds are toxic, at least to the same degree, still there are some that are extremely poisonous and they are called mycotoxins. These are very dangerous and can be even lethal. They are also very difficult to get rid of them or to kill once they take hold in your environment and even your body.
This kind of mold contaminates everything whithin environment, including things in your home like draperies, furniture, linens and even your clothes.
When mycotoxins enter your body, they immediately start ravaging your immune system, your nervous system, brain, and wreak havoc on your joints. All this can lead to many horrible diseases, even cancer and in many cases tha damage caused by mycotoxins is irreversible.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture pubished a study in 2005 which said:
“Acute toxicity generally has a rapid onset and an obvious toxic response, while chronic toxicity is characterized by low-dose exposure over a long time period, resulting in cancers and other generally irreversible effects.”
If you get lucky enough to only be mildly affected by mold, you will probably still feel its effects in the form of allergies.
Applied and Environmental Biology published a study which revealed that 25-28% of North Americans are now genetically predisposed to feel negative effects when in areas with water-damaged such as their homes or workplaces.
Moreover, the study revealed that “dampness” is present In up to 50% of homes and buildings in North America. We all know that dampness is the perfect breeding ground for fungi and mold, and according to the study fungal growth is a problem in 15 to 40% of North American homes.
As you can realize on your own, this means that you have 50/50 chance that your home or workplace will be susceptible to mold. In the event that it is, there is even 40% chance that you will experience negative health issues as a result!
Where Does Mold Grow?
As we previously mentioned, mold loves damp, basements, poorly ventilated areas like bathrooms, in general, everywhere there is water.
At first, it strarts with a small leak in your roof or behind your shower. If you have ha d a flood and was not properly cleaned, mold now lives under your floors.
There are also cases when mold was actually brought into people’s homes by contaminated materials during construction such as untreated wood or other construction materials. Moreover, mold can flourish in places like a dirty HVAC system, where dust and moisture have been collecting for months or even years.
There are also many cases where there are strains of mold that survive and grow in dry and arid climates like Arizona or Nevada. This kind of mold causes severe breathing issues for susceptible people.
Beside your home, food can also be very susceptible to mycotoxins. Grains, nuts, chocolate, coffee, and wine for instance are vulnerable.
How Do I know If I Have Mold Poisoning?
Up until recently, doctors and other medical professionals in most of the cases told patients that their symptoms were only in their head since they could not pinpoint the cause.
However, nowadays more and more studies show that the effects of mold are very real and extremely dangerous for some people who are the most susceptible, and it can even end up with death.
At first, the symptoms will start out as mild, but once your body gets overwhelmed- inundated with toxic spores—the symptoms will progress.
If your doctor is not familiar with the signs and symptoms of mold toxicity, you will be misdiagnosed because the symptoms resamble many other diseases and syndromes like: Celical diseases, Fibromylagia, Lyme disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and others.
It is very dangerous if doctor treat some of the abovementioned diseases, and you are poisoned by the mold because it will only exacerbate the problem.
14 Warning Signs—Symptoms of Mold Poisoning:
- Weight fluctuation
- Blurred vision
- Numbness and tingling
- Sensitivity to light
- Mood issues
- Sleep issues
- Brain Fog/Confusion/Memory loss
- Auto-immune issues
- Joint pain
- Neurocognitive problems
- Inflammatory problems
- GI problems/food sensitivities
If your immune system is already compromised, mold can attack your skin, eyes, organs, lungs and cause devastating effects such as lung cancer or renal failure.
What Can I Do?
If you suspect mold might be a problem there are several things you can do:
First of all, you should test your environment. The Environmental Protection Agency developed the most reliable and widely used test called ERMI (Environmental Relative Moldiness Index). If there is mold present, this test will reveal what type and whether it is toxic.
If the test comes back positive, you should finr a professional mold remediation expert. The expert will help you determine the source of the mold and make all necessary repeairs to leakd, or remove contaminated materials, clear air exchanges etc. After everything is checked and removed, you should definitely repeat the test again in order to ensure all of the spores are absent before rebuilidng or moving back in.
You can also find a doctor that specializes in mold issues: make sure to look for a doctor who is trained in the “Shoemaker Protocol” or is familiar with mold illness so you can begin the detoxification process.
Eat and live healthy: beside getting rid of mold from your house, you should also avoid eating foods that feed or contain yeast, fungus and mold like sugars and carbohydrates. You will in fact have to follow a Candida Diet. Moreover, there are some supplements that will help you rebuild and restore your body such as glutathione, activated charcoal, olive leaf, and many others.
Stay informed: Make sure to find other resources from which you can take advantage and you will be better informed about mold. You will be also able to inform and protect your family.
Source: dailyhealthpost.com / http://www.fhfn.org/