Forget “an apple a day” for maintaining optimal health, what you should be eating everyday is an avocado. The tasty fruits are packed full of the power boosting vitamins and nutrients that our bodies want and need, making them one of nature’s superfoods. The green, tough-skinned fruits are actually large berries that grow on avocado trees. Their insides have a distinct buttery smooth texture, which makes them great for spreading on top of stuff. Since they’re mild tasting and on the bland side, they’re also great for mixing into a variety of recipes. Those factors make it easy for anyone to work a daily serving of avocado into their diet, and doing so can make a huge positive impact on your bodily health and wellness.
Here are the main benefits you can expect to gain from an avocado.
1) Vitamins and Nutrients- Avocados are a rich source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, folate, niacin and riboflavin, plus vitamins K, B6, and E. They even contain twice the amount of potassium compared to a banana!
2) Healthy Fats- While many people avoid avocados because they’re known to be high in fat it’s monounsaturated, or the good kind of fat, that they contain. Healthy fats are good for us because they can actually help to lower bad cholesterol levels, which in turn is great for our hearts.
3) Aid with Weight Loss- When you eat an avocado you’ll likely feel fuller for longer and therefore you won’t be as inclined to snack on sweets and things later on. Studies have shown that people who eat meals which include at least a half of an avocado snack less overall. This is because the healthy fats they contain help keep insulin and glucose levels stable by producing a ketogenic effect, which also optimizes metabolism.
4) Improve your Eyesight- The lutein and zeaxanthin in avocados help to strengthen and improve your vision, plus they protect eyes against macular degeneration.
5) They’re Free of Pesticides- The thick, rough skin that covers the soft inside works wonders at protecting them from harmful pesticides, toxins, and fertilizers. Out of all the produce available in grocery stores that were tested for pesticide residues, avocados were the cleanest and only 1% of those tested showed any trace of pesticides. (www.ewg.org/)
There are lots more health benefits that avocados have to offer. They can help improve just about anything, from protecting unborn babies to inhibiting and preventing certain cancers. The accompanying video goes over all this and more, it’s truly eye opening and amazing just how good they are for you. Even if you don’t like to eat them, you can use them in beauty treatments for skin and hair. The next time you go to the store pick a few up and start working them into your diet and beauty routine!