Rather than serving this easy mock shrimp ceviche with chips or tortillas, cut some carbs and pile the citrusy seafood in fresh avocado bowls for a fun and healthy presentation.
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ounces peeled cooked shrimp, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cucumber
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium firm ripe avocados
- Combine lemon juice, lime juice and sugar in a medium nonreactive bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add shrimp and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the bowl and discard liquid. Return the shrimp to the bowl and stir in cucumber, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, oil and salt.
- Leaving the skin on, halve and pit the avocados. Top each avocado half with about ¼ cup of the shrimp mixture.
- Serving size: 1 avocado half, ¼ cup ceviche
- Per serving: 223 calories;17.0 g fat(2.0 g sat); 7.0 g fiber; 12.0 g carbohydrates; 9.0 g protein; 88.0 mcg folate; 54 mg cholesterol; 2.0 g sugars; 0.0 g added sugars; 270.0 IU vitamin A; 25.0 mg vitamin C; 37.0 mg calcium; 1.0 mg iron; 137 mg sodium; 626.0 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (22% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
- Exchanges: 3½ fat, 1 lean protein