The ceviche is prepared with shrimp, which is first lightly cooked, and then marinated in the citrus juice.
- Combine water and 1/4 cup salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp and immediately turn off the heat. Let the shrimp sit until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Chop the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a medium nonreactive bowl (see Tip). Add lemon, lime and orange juice. Stir in cucumber, onion and chiles. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Stir tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt into the shrimp mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Poaching liquid
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup diced seeded tomato
- 1 avocado, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro leaves, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Read more at the original article: Eating Well