A simple and warming one pan dinner that can feed the whole family. Loaded with sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and Italian herbs it’s full of flavour, and the addition of the white beans make it filling without the extra starchy calories.
Herbs are not just flavorful though. Adding herbs to any dish is an excellent way to nourish your body and maintain good health.
For instance, basil has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties and has been found to help prevent osteoarthritis. Moreover, garlic has anti-cancer benefits and oregano is rich in antioxidants. Oregano is also used to treat coughs, fevers and congestion.
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook time: 7-10 minutes
- 2.5lbs chicken thighs (about 8 thighs)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz white mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 14oz can of cannellini beans*
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Pepper
*I’ve used cannellini beans in this recipe, but you could easily use any white bean you like. If you are using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, be sure to remove some of the extra oil when you dice them up.
*Editor’s note: It is recommended that you use jarred beans or BPA-free cans. Another option is to soak and prepare the beans yourself.
- Preheat and oven to 350F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Wash and chop all of your vegetables, and drain and rinse the can of beans.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on a medium-high heat, then add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate. You’re going to add it back to the pan later.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan, and add the diced onion and sliced mushroom. Allow to cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until onions begin to be translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and sundried tomatoes, allow to cook another 1-2 minutes. You don’t want the garlic to burn, so decrease the heat if needed.
- Add the dried herbs and allow to heat for about 30 seconds until fragrant. At this point I like to add a small splash of water, maybe 1-2 tablespoons, this helps to pick up any flavours off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes to the mixture and stir to well combine. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Return your chicken thighs to the pan. Ensure that they are submerged into the tomato mixture, if they overlap that is not an issue.
- Add the beans to the pan, spreading them out evenly.
- If you have an oven proof skillet, cover the skillet and transfer it to the oven for 15-20 minutes. If you do no have an oven proof skillet, continue cooking on the stovetop on a low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove your pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve warm with a side salad.