1 medium onion
1 pack thinly sliced pepperoni
1 ball mozzarella, cut into cubes
1 jar pizza sauce (this can be a basic pasta sauce or passata etc)
100 grams parmesan, grated
3 tablespoons dried oregano
Oil for deep frying
100 grams panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
1. Cut onion into 2 centimeter slices. Carefully separate the layers into individual rings.
2. On a tray lined with baking paper, lay out onion rings and place a slice of pepperoni in the centre, pushing the pepperoni slice down to take the shape of the onion and make a bowl.
3. Layer in a tablespoon of pizza sauce, mozzarella, some parmesan, and a sprinkle of oregano.
4. Place tray in freezer until solid (about two hours).
5. Add flour, beaten eggs, and panko breadcrumbs to three separate bowls. Stir paprika and oregano into the flour
6. Remove frozen pizza rings from freezer.
7. Roll each first in seasoned flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
8. In a large saucepan, heat oil to 180˚C/350°F.
9. Fry pizza onion rings in batches until nicely browned on all sides, about 3 minutes.
10. Place on paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Sprinkle with more dried oregano.