In a jiffy to make dinner and you only have less than an hour to make it? Then try this quick chicken parmesan recipe. The dish is ready in 30 minutes, but it looks like it’s cooked in the oven for hours. It’s quite tangy and very cheesy, something kids and the kids at heart having dinner with you will truly appreciate.
What makes this quick chicken parmesan so quick? You only need to brown the chicken, spoon tomato sauce and cheese over it, and then let it cook in the oven until it’s completely done. The entire process only takes around half an hour. This fast and easy recipe is adapted by Jacquelyn of Marin Mama Cooks.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise and lightly pounded
1 1/2 cups basic tomato sauce, or your favorite tomato or marina sauce
1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese – We like our cheese, so we used 3/4 cup
1/2 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Let’s prep the ingredients. Prep your chicken, measure out your cheeses, measure out your sauce, cut up your butter and rinse and chop up the rosemary, thyme and italian parsley. In a small bowl add the 3 tablespoons olive oil and then mix in the chopped herbs along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Get out your chicken and brush each side with the olive oil and herb mixture.
- Heat a heavy large oven-proof skillet (I used my 12-inch cast iron) over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. This step may take longer if your breasts are a bit thicker.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Spoon the tomato sauce over and around the chicken.
- Top each breast with a bit of mozzarella. Then sprinkle each breast with some shredded or grated parmesan cheese. It’s really an individual preference here with how much cheese you want to add. We like cheese as you know, so we tend to go a bit on the heavier side.
- Sprinkle the butter pieces over the chicken breasts.
- Pop the skillet into the oven and bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. The timing will vary on this as well depending on how thick your chicken is. You really just want to make sure that the chicken is cooked through. I always use a meat thermometer to test my chicken, as I will not eat undercooked chicken.
- If you want your cheese a bit browned on top, pop it under the broiler for a minute or two until you see the cheese brown up.
- Serve this up with some crispy garlic bread and a nice big salad. We love it served alongside my lacinato kale salad.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Marin Mama Cooks.